[SCCC] ARRLDX CW WA6L SOAB QRP

John Graf wa6l at arrl.net
Mon Feb 22 10:56:51 PST 2010

Call: WA6L
Operator(s): WA6L
Station: WA6L

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Alpine, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4.5

 160:
  80:
  40:
  20:  34     23
  15:  13     11
  10:
-------------------
Total:  47     34  Total Score = 4,794

I didn't have plans to work the contest, but with the rainy weather my wife
ran
out of work for me to do and wanted me out of her hair.  So, I got an
unexpected 4-1/2 hours to go get on the radio!

I used my Elecraft K2 at 5 watts. Using a QRP-only rig kept my fingers from
reaching for the RF power knob when the other station could ALMOST hear me.
sure do like the receiver on that K2 -- extremely quiet and selective.

So I had a great time if not a great score.  No new countries, but 2 new
band-modes, and a number of new QRP countries.  I'm up to 60 now, and with
the
bands improving and with Art's sunspot dances I am feeling optimistic.

I finished my time on the air by working John at ZF2AM.  Great way to end
the
fun.

73,

John, WA6L