[SCCC] Honeywell 2000i Inverter

Dennis Vernacchia n6ki73 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 23:02:55 PDT 2010

Well here's the specs on the Honda and Honeywell Inverter Type Power Sources
( I have NO pecuniary interest in this matter )

You pays your money  You takes your chances
( I see that the Honeywell is Noisier, Heavier and has twice the fuel
consumption,
maybe that's the reason it's half the price as the Honda ! )

RFI could be another potential issue

The Honda does have some emissions that CAN be suppressed  ( See note below
from K9YC )

The Honeywell -,,,,,,, "News at 5 ...." I guess
( Anyone want to Beta test it and return it to Costco if it's noise trashes
your HF Receiver ????? )

Honda

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EU2000i&modelid=EU2000IAN

   - 2000 watts (16.7 A) of Honda Inverter 120V AC Power
   - *Super quiet - 53 to 59 dB(A*)
   - Lightweight (less than 47 lbs.)
   - *Eco-Throttle - runs up to 9.6 hr on 1.1 gal. of fuel*
   - Advanced inverter technology provides reliable power to computers and
   other sensitive equipment
   - 12v - 8.0A DC output
   - Parallel with another EU2000i for additional power
   - Protected by Oil Alert®
   - Power for microwave, refrigerators, hair dryer, and small AC units
   - USDA-qualifed spark arrestor/muffler
   - 3 year residential and commercial warranty

Honeywell

http://www.shophoneywellgenerators.com/store/catalog.asp?item=8

   - Rated Watts: 2000, Maximum Watts: 2100
   - Amps: 16.7 A @ 120 Volts
   - Engine: Type 4-Stroke, Single Cylinder, Air-Cooled, OHV
   - Engine cc: 125cc
   - Start: Recoil
   - Outlets: (2) 20A 120VAC (NEMA 5-20R) (1) 12VDC
   - Fuel Tank: 1.5 Gallons
   - *Run Time: 5 Hours @ 50% Load*
   - Frame: High Impact, Injection Molded Case
   - Portability: Integrated Handle
   - Added Features: Power Indicator Light, AC and DC Overload Protection,
   Efficiency Mode Switch
   - Warranty: 2 Year Limited
   - Dimensions: 21.3"(L) x 20.0"(H) x 11.4"(W)
   - Weight: 58 lbs
   - *Sound Rating: (7m) 62 dB - no load, 70 dB - 75% load*

Jim K9YC comments on the RFI generated by the Honda

Dennis,

This is a very nice generator. It DOES generate some RF trash, and can be
fairly strong if it is close to antennas. Owners should buy and use a
suitable RFI filter. A good start would be to wind multiple turns through
toroids, using my coax choke cookbook as a starting point. You can also use
a conventional line filter, like those made by Corcom, Delta, etc.

See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/PowerFilters.pdf

I've built two filters for use with these generators using the 20ESK6,
mounting the filter in an 8-gang backbox and mounting quad outlets in the
box.

The filter, whichever type is used, should have very short leads to the
generator (inches). The line between the generator and the filter can
radiate.

73, Jim K9YC