[SCCC] FW: FW: ARRLDX SSB N6RV SOAB LP

Bill Kendrick kendrick.w at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 8 16:36:23 PST 2010

Tough week for me getting Visalia Program Booklet together. Bands were down
from CW weekend. Truly John, K6AM, is the man with two brains! Operating
SO2R he bested my score by 60%. Way to go John! I need some pointers and my
40 beam back up!

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N6RV
Operator(s): N6RV
Station: N6RV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LAX

  160:    7     5
   80:   42    27
   40:   31    13
   20:  285    76
   15:  172    42
   10:   31     6
-------------------
Total:  568   169  Total Score = 287,976

Flex 5000A
KT36XA @ 80 ft.
KT34XA @ 54 ft.
40/80 Loop @ 50 ft.
160 Shunt Fed Tower
Writelog

What a change from two weeks ago! 15 was barely open to Europe and no
Pacific on 10. Everyone was jammed into 20 meters and it was impossible to
copy weak stations! The Flex works well for S&P. I use the second VFO to
tune in one station while waiting for the current station. When done I flip
the VFOs and walk down the band working everything new. It  works really
well on a not so crowded band. Phone contests are more tiring than CW. I had
to sleep both nights. Lost 3 hours each night. Took a nap for 1 1/2 hrs on
Sunday after things died down. Mostly S & P except I called CQ for about an
hour and a half on 15 which yielded several multipliers and amazingly a
handful of Indonesian stations. My only Koreaa station answered my CQ on
Sunday. The demographics of contesting is changing. The number of big
stations have increased and the casual entries as well as the small
competitors seem to have fallen off. There are many stations in my area that
used to operate the contests now it is only a few in Los Angeles. Next year
will be better!