[SCCC] CQ WW RTTY K6GEP SOAB LP

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 3 10:56:34 PDT 2010

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CA

   80:   58   64       28      2     3
   40:  129  210       39     24    15
   20:  190  350       41     39    22
   15:  115  208       25     27    18
   10:   12   30        2      7     8
Total:  504  862      135     99    66  Total Score = 258,600

My goal was to make 500 QSO's in 25 hours, and I had to put in a lot more time
to get to 500. It is my favorite contest of the year, but I burned myself out a
bit.

Nice to see 20m stay open to the Pacific until after 0400z.  Woke up before
sunrise to catch more Pacific on 40m, then EU at 1400z.  No EU on 15 Saturday
morning, but nice opening to JA later in the afternoon.  Very nice EU opening
on 40m around 0300z Saturday night.  Brief opening to EU on 15 Sunday morning.

I think this contest is unique in that the last hour yields the highest rate
of the contest.  Hoards of people show up for that last hour, and you can work
them either way - running or S&P.  I have not seen this effect on either CQWW SSB or
CW.

Lesson learned was that better propagation does not necessarily mean higher QSO
rates.

New ones worked on RTTY:
   A6, ZS, HB9, and FY.  Picked up some new ones on 15 too.

Congrats to WN6K for his apparent win for Low Power in 6-land.  Amazing how
close my claimed score was to N6RV.

Rig: FT-990 , 100W

Ants:
80 meter dipole sloping from 40 feet
80 meter OCF Windom sloping from 40 feet
40 meter inv vee at 45 feet (for 40 & 15)
Wilson SY-2 Tribander at 18 feet

Software:  N1MM + MMTTY