[SCCC] NA Sprint CW W4EF(@W4EF/6) HP

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Sep 12 11:04:10 PDT 2010

                     NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF/6

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA

    80:   57   00:43
    40:  113   01:32
    20:  106   01:45
---------------------

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

Rig: Omni 6+ Amp: Drake L7
Antennas:  20, 40, and 80 meter inverted V's at 35ft
            80 meter top-load vertical (56' high)
            Cushcraft R7000 with base at 10'

Spent most of the morning and early afternoon replacing a broken trap in
the Cushcraft R7000. Most of that time was spent comparing the resonant
frequencies of the old trap with the new one. I think old trap broke
because the aluminum wire stub coming off the coil form of the 15 meter
section got tweaked when I was trying to set the resonant frequency (it
was way off on this antenna when I first tried it out). The new trap was
similarly mal-adjusted (by about 2 MHz), but I decided that I wouldn't
worry about it until later since it was only relevant on 15 meters.
Ironically, the R7000 never seemed to hear any better than the inverted
V's at 35ft, so I don't think I made any QSOs on it
:-)

On 80 meters, I was very happy with the way the new vertical played. It
is 1/4 wave long wire that I hung in parallel with my center/top-loaded
160 meter vertical. The 80 meter wire hangs off a pulley that is
suspended on a short sidearm at the top of the 160 meter radiator. It
felt competitive. I'll be really really surprised if this one is a
golden log. I think the desert sun must have baked my brain as I had
more brain fades than I'd care to admit. Between that and going all
thumbs on N1MM a few too many times with the accompanying botched hand
sending, there is plenty of room for operator improvement (I apologize
to all those who I upchucked on with my Benchers). Conditions seemed
pretty good. Heard but did not work NM, OK, and VE5.

Thanks to all for the QSOs.

73, Mike W4EF

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/