[SCCC] More than just scores

John Simmons kq6es at roadrunner.com
Wed Dec 14 22:35:41 PST 2011

It's not unfitting to be a little sentimental during this time of year, so at the risk of being too serious I wanted to say this.

The phonetics have generated a lot of interest and humor, but I saw only one SCCC posted message, from N6WIN, that said anything about either of the main things, which were Tim K6GEP doing such a creditable job (and having such a good time) with so many new things to do and to experience in a solo full time contest effort - Good Job Tim!, and Tim N6WIN making his station available for the other Tim (and to me last month) to enjoy and learn from - Thanks, Tim!

I don't think it can be overestimated how important such positive first experiences can be to a contester at any level. I'm still thankful to Arnie N6HC (and Bill W1HIJ behind the scenes) for letting me operate his station and nervously twiddle the amp knobs back in 1997 for a WPX -- although propagation sucked and Arnie mowed the lawn noisily while I was operating :o) -- when my own shack was an unfiltered and unamplified FT-840 and a vertical.

Even at my station level, a 1000MP, a 20ft high 3-element beam and that same vertical, and now a 600 watt amp, I have tried to pass that along and hosted a few contests for members of my small local radio club. And one of them returned the favor recently by teaching me a few tricks on PSK31 which he operates in contests with a small vertical and an FT-897.

While I'm at it, I feel remiss that I haven't said anything for a long time about how reading some of the more enthusiastic and good news club posts, like the ones below, always make me feel a little more upbeat.

Fred KI6QDH passed the 100 CW contacts mark in the 10m contest, exceeding his expectations and warming the hearts of all us CW guys.

There was similar good news from Bob NC6Q for his first time with over 200 CW contacts in a contest. And for using the rain gutters to work 160m for the first time. Excellent stuff.

John WA6L had what sounds like his best QRP 10m contest.

And I always like to hear from Vic about Meko and Sparky, who remind me of my own sorely missed multi-op crew.

Happy Holidays to all - and I hope to log some of you in the RAC Winter this weekend -

John kq6es