[SCCC] 160M residential lot antenna

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 12:00:11 PST 2011

Tim,

Even with cobbled together system you had a decent signal 100 mi N of SF. Of
course you may want a decent sig in Europe and JA.

You tower and beam will be the basis of a fairly good top-loaded
transmitting antenna when properly configured and matched. . Separately,
I'll suggest one or two NCCC guys for further info, but be sure to read
ON4UN's book,"Low-Band DXing"  with emphasis on Ch 9 Section 5.8  [in the
1994 Edition] "Using the Beam Tower as a Low-Band Vertical" and especially
Figure 59A "Electrical Length of a Tower Loaded with a Yagi Antenna".  Maybe
you would use a Gamma match  . see Section 5.8.1 , especially Figure 9-61.

An inverted L is another choice. .construction on an existing tower is
discussed in Section 6 of Ch. 9.

Your challenge will be hearing.  A K9AY loop or equivalent might help, but
it may couple significantly to the transmitting antennas with your 75x75
foot lot.  I wonder if installing a rotating loop above the beam would
improve the situation.  If you can persuade three to five contiguous
neighbors with houses to the NE or SW to cooperate,  a Beverage antenna
could be installed, maybe running along wood fences.  Did you try your 80 m
wire antenna for receiving? Might give some improvement. You could try
listening the next few nights to the VP8ORK pileups around 1.829 in late
evening.

In Marin county with low power and an 85 foot wire hung from a tree with
4-wire top loading and two elevated radials I managed WAS, WAC with no
separate Rx antenna but working Eu is a challenge.  Not transmitting so much
as receiving.

73 Bill n6zfo  [NCCC]