[SCCC] Rig audio/ Cans

H Lawrence Serra hlserra at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 5 12:43:40 PST 2011

Hi Mike-

I do just the opposite! Ten years ago I bypassed the internal audio amps on my SO2R OMNI VI+s (virtually all ham rigs have crappy internal audio amps), take the audio line level output to a Behringer UB802 mixer then thru two Behringer "bricks" (audio isolation/amplification), then I close the rigs' AF amplifier gain all the way down, use the UB802 for audio volume, and ride the RF gain/AGC for optimal SNR on weak sigs. Signals are much cleaner without internal audio amps of any ham xcvr.

For cans: I tried all the cans from $60 to $1200 at the local hi-fi specialty shop then also. I brought a CD of CW Sprint traffic and a CD player to listen to the CW thru all the different cans. I listen low (~450-510 hz), and the winner was the (then) $60 GRADO Labs SR-60 cans. Since then I have begun using BOSE QC-3 noise reduction headsets because the audio is fine, and the noise cancelling really reduces fatigue and eliminates background noise you never even realized was there.

Eric Scace K3NA wrote a couple of articles on optimizing rcvr audio chain in the NCJ a few years ago. Very informative, and basically suggested what I described above.

73, Larry N6NC