[SCCC] KK6KK, SK

Wayne Overbeck overbeck6 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 23:44:47 PST 2011

Some of you have already heard that Bob Mann,
KK6KK, passed away about 11 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 13.
I don't have any details to pass along except
that it was the result of complications from
his esophageal cancer.

Bob and I were friends for 45 years.  I first met
him in 1966 when he was a student at Riverside City
College.  I was a new faculty member there.  He came
into my office to introduce himself in person a day
or two after I worked him as WB6BGR on 15 meters
and somehow the subject of RCC came up on the air.
He was probably best known by his second call, W6LKO.

Bob was a leader of the VHF repeater and remote base
community for many years.  (See below for a message
about that aspect of his amateur radio life.)

A few years ago I invited Bob to go roving in a VHF
contest, and he accepted.  He enjoyed it enough to
keep doing it right up through last September.  At
that point, Bob knew he was ill but didn't have
an official diagnosis yet.  Somehow he managed to
muster enough stamina to win--he was the #1 rover
nationally in his last contest.  KX9X at the ARRL
contest desk prepared his certificate as soon as the
log-checking was done and Fedexed it to us on Nov. 10.
In my last phone call to Bob, I told him that the
official results were now out in QST.

We will all miss Bob's deep, authoritative voice and
his wonderful presence.

Wayne, N6NB