[SCCC] N6WIN 2011 ARRL CW DX SOAB(A) HP

Timothy Coker n6win73 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 19:59:24 PST 2011

                   ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N6WIN
Operator(s): N6WIN
Station: N6WIN

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Orange

 160:   16     9
  80:  106    55
  40:  339    93
  20:  270    88
  15:  223    75
  10:   58    31
-------------------
Total: 1018   351  Total Score = 1,065,636

Great conditions! I had fun using Skimmer, classic spots, and a fully
automatic
antenna/amplifier switching system. It was awesome being able to run through
the different bands during the daytime looking for new stations to work
based
on my current antenna heading.

I felt really strong into Japan and Asiatic Russia, often able to get right
through the competing stations. Europe was surprising, last year I felt weak
into Europe during the morning 20m opening, even against other So Cal
stations... this year was a different story. While not able to compete with
the east coast stations, I felt well heard into Eu, often times beating out
some of the smaller east coast stations and holding my own in California.

Last year I had a 40m rotatable dipole at 70' and felt weak against the
competition. This year a 2nd element at the same height honestly made me
feel much more competitive.

80m was fun with the new inverted-v at 54' apex and 12' ends. 160m was
something I had not tried during any contest previous to the CQ WW 160M CW.
I tuned my 2 element 40m yagi and got some mults!

K1EL Winkeyer 2 USB is new to the shack and operating flawlessly with
Writelog.

N6ED and N6QQ are a couple of SCCC members who I heard routinely beating my
out in the pileups. Last year they dominated me... but this year I was
usually one QSO behind them.

Operating equipment:

Yaesu FT2000
Acom 2000A