[SCCC] NAQP CW K6ZZ Single Op LP

Bob Selbrede, K6ZZ webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 10 19:54:31 PST 2011

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K6ZZ
Operator(s): K6ZZ
Station: K6ZZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA

  160:   44    13
   80:   66    28
   40:  201    49
   20:  300    51
   15:  200    41
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  811   182  Total Score = 147,602

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

Great fun as always.  Biggest mistake was not paying
attention to 10 Meters.  Probably missed an opportunity for
another 20 Mults.  My goal was to improve on last years
score and finish with 800 QSO's and 200 Mult's.  Probably
would have made it if I had tried 10 Meters!  Going to the
low bands a bit sooner would have helped as well.

I had everything ready to give SO2R a serious shot for the
first time.  The only technical problem was the 10M bandpass
filter on the second radio.  It appears to be toasted, which
I discovered too late to do anything about it.  Although I
was equipped and ready to give SO2R a shot, I found myself
not having enough time to tune the second radio effectively.
 The first 4 hours of the contest were excellent rate-wise.
At the end of 4 hours I had 410 QSO's and I thought my
chances of an excellent score were looking pretty good.
After coming back from my first 60 minute off-time, things
were much slower.  Ultimately, I never made any QSO's on the
second radio.  I don't know how the SO2R pro's do it.  I
can't imagine making many second radio QSO's with a main
radio rate much over 60/hr let alone 100+/hr.  I guess it's
a matter of practice!

Station Description:

Elecraft K3 x 2
Dunestar Model 600 6-Band Filter x 2
Home Brew Dual Band Decoder and 6x2 Antenna Switch (KK1L
design)
YCCC SO2R+ Box
N1MM Logger
KT-36XA at 50'
XM-240 at 65'
Alpha Delta DX-A Sloper on 80M/160M
Home Brew HF Triplexer which allows two radios to use a
single tribander at the same time.

73, Bob K6ZZ