[SCCC] W4EF CQWW SSB Single-Op 10M HP

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Oct 31 13:22:28 PDT 2011

CQWWSSB Score Summary Sheet

        Start Date : 2011-10-29

     CallSign Used : W4EF
       Operator(s) : W4EF

Operator Category : SINGLE-OP
              Band : 10M
             Power : HIGH
              Mode : SSB
  Default Exchange : 59 3

         Band    QSOs    Pts  Cty   ZN
           28    1022    2889  120   35

             Score : 447,795

               Rig : Ten-Tec Omni6+ and Drake L-7
          Antennas : 3-band Spiderbeam at 50 feet (4 active elements on 10)
                     40/20 meter parallel dipoles at 45' for quickly
listening "off beam"
                     A Cushcraft R7000 at 10' rendered totally useless
by line noise

I was going to try a SOAB, but my wife had me digging a hole in the
backyard early Friday morning to plant a tree, and when I got up to
Littlerock I ended up having problems with the 160 meter RX array which
I thought I had fixed the weekend before. I got it fixed eventually, but
because of the delay I didn't get settled down in front of the rig to
make any QSOs until 0020 UTC.

There was also a lingering problem with the Spiderbeam on 20 meters. One
leg of the 20 meter driven element had tangled with the 15 meter driven
element. It didn't seem to effect 10 or 15 meters, but it sure screwed
up 20 meters. I ran 10 meters until it died and then went down and
played with 20 meters to see how bad the beam was degraded. It was still
quieter than the dipole, but signals were no longer stronger on the beam
and it didn't have much of a pattern. I did manage to work A73A, but it
was a struggle (K6NA blew through with one call). This pissed me off
enough that I went outside, lowered the tower and set about to fix the
tangled wires.

The AB-577 comes down and goes back up surprisingly fast and can be
handled by one person when there is no wind. The problem with the
antenna was easy to fix I was able to get it back up and running at full
height in a few hours. By that time, however, I was so tired that a
serious SOAB seemed like a fools errand, so I figured I'd stay with 10
meters to see how it would play out.

I've got some noise issues up here which have a rather interesting
characteristic. Before sunrise, 10 meters is dead quite no matter which
way I point the Spiderbeam, but as soon as the sun comes up I start
getting QRN when I am pointed east or west. Luckily when I am pointed at
Europe or Japan the noise is mostly not there. The blanker in the Omni6+
takes some of it out completely and is situated behind a roofing filter
so it doesn't get modulated by the whole band (i.e. I can actually leave
it on during the contest). However, sometimes the noise, although
somewhat similar in sound (it sounds like line noise buzz), isn't
impacted by the blanker at all. I think this might be multiple sources
all buzzing at the same time. It comes and goes in intensity all day
long. At times it can be quite strong whereas at other times it is next
to nothing. Fortunately, it is worst in the directions with the least
impact.

In any case, I had a great time and was able to use the dead time
Saturday night to catch up on my sleep. I heard zones 16, 21, and 39,
but wasn't able to work them (not a peep from 17 and 22). There were
also a handful of countries that I heard which got away (Z21, 5R8, UA,
etc). The highlight of the contest was on Sunday morning when I was
doing S&P on the second VFO between CQs when the rate had dropped real
low. I heard a big pileup and a strong signal responding to callers with
"59 34". This had to be a new one, so I dumped in my call once and he
came right back to which I responded "59 03, could I have your call?" He
responded with "ST2AR" and I immediately jumped back to my CQ frequency
just in time to hear a loud "Is this frequency in use" to which I
replied "yes" and started CQing again. That whole sequence couldn't have
been choreographed any better. I just doesn't get any better than that. :-)

Congratulations to the W6YI team on their tremendous effort and
especially their outstanding ten meter numbers. All I can say is - WOW!