[SCCC] ki6qdh-----RFI

Fred Petrotta ki6qdh at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 13:15:29 PDT 2012

Hey guys, wanted to share a couple of issues while working in the NAQP yesterday. My verticle antenna worked fine, but I did have a problem when I set up my buddipole for  40m.  I know some of you have operated from your rv,s before.  as soon as I started to  TX the electronics in my trailer went crazy!!!  did not like the FIRE IN THE WIRE HIHI. anyone ever have this prblem in their motor homes, and how did you fix it??? I was hearing alot of stations and really wanted to make some contacts on 40m.

Also a other issue I had was with my Yaesu FT-450d.  Actually the radio worked just fine but I had never used it on 40m. when I selected the operating mode the radio would only go into LSB but would not go to CW also?? this never happened with my 950.  took one hour for me to finnaly find that in the bfo menu I had to select lsb--cw for the mode to display it on the radio.   Lesson learned- need to have the radio figured out before the start of a contest. will also have to do this for 75m and 160m operation.  In case anyone buys one of these radios remember this situation.   The radio has been a great portable unit and great also for backup, I am pleased that I bought it.

73   Fred Petrotta /  ki6qdh