[SCCC] ARRL 10M W6PH SOHP CW

Kurt Pauer w6ph73 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 12:24:53 EST 2012

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA (Inyo County)
Operating Time (hrs): 13.5

   CW:  875    90
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  875    90  Total Score = 315,000

IC781 AL1200 N1MM (I think I am getting better with it.)

Antennas: 5 el yagi (N8SM design) at 60 feet, A3S at 40 feet

Not a real serious effort but a fun time.

Friday night for one hour.  A few LU's and PY's plus some TX stations.  All
very weak.

Saturday morning at 7:30 am started with a good opening to the southeast US and
South America.  Tons of stations answering my CQ's and then it went away about
one hour later.  The band reopened at 10 am to the entire east coast and I
stayed with it until about noon when I had to QRT to drive 60 miles to Bishop
to see the latest James Bond movie with my wife.  (Actually not a bad movie.)
Got home about 9 pm and didn't bother to check the band.

Sunday morning started out well and stayed well until about 2 pm when certain
parts of the US went blank for awhile and then reappeared.  The band opened to
JA at 2:30 pm with a few good signals that went down hill very quickly and it
was over by 3 pm.  Not many JA's on.  By then the QSB took over and signals
were at ESP level.  One highlight was being called by 9V1YC on Sunday morning
via the LP.

I missed AR (had propagation), ND, SD, KS, WY, VE4, VE6, and YT.  I worked a
couple EA's but that was all for Europe.

I built the antenna on Thursday from some other antennas and put it up on
Friday morning.  The antenna is a Steve Miller N8SM (SK) design when he was
WD8IXE.  It is five elements on a 20 foot boom.  I was very happy with the way
it worked.  It comes down tomorrow and won't go up again until next October.

No more contests until the ARRL DX Contests from VP9.

                             73, Kurt W6PH