[SCCC] Advice from Marty, N6VI

JOHN SCHROEDER n6qq at msn.com
Sat May 19 01:21:44 PDT 2012

From: n6vi at socal.rr.com
To: n6qq at msn.com
Subject: Re: A donation to the club
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 07:58:45 -0700

Hi, John.

Bearing in mind that I have never been a tax
practitioner, here's my take on your question.

The club is already exempt (under IRC 501(c)(7), I
believe) and its incorporating documents all support that classification.
Those documents would probably not support public-charity status, which is what
you're looking for.  That means you would have to adopt and file new
articles of incorporation and bylaws appropriate to a public charity or private
foundation.  The club would then have to file a new application for
exemption with the IRS.  If granted, there could be new reporting
requirements, and you would have to demonstrate that a major portion of your
support comes from the public.  My main question is this: What public
benefit comes from encouraging Hams to chase DX awards?   I know, the
international goodwill and all that . . . but it could be a hard sell with the
IRS and, if they deny it, you could not then opt for a different exempt
category.

Bottom line: it can be done, but
there's time, cost and risk involved.  You might be better off
starting a separate entity with, say, an educational goal toward which
you would use assets such as the ranch for training radio operators for
volunteer public-service communications work.

73,

Marty N6VI