[SCCC] WPX SSB WN6K SOAB LP

PAUL DOREY wn6k at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 1 13:44:17 EDT 2013

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: WN6K
Operator(s): WN6K
Station: WN6K

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Vista, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 32.5

------------
  160:    1
   80:   17
   40:  283
   20:  102
   15:  398
   10:  121
------------
Total:  922  Prefixes = 453  Total Score = 839,409

0730 UTC (as I am trying to slip into bed quietly without disturbing her):
"...sooo did you finally work D4C and did he get your '2-2-4'? - I think
you were about one more call from the neighbors calling us to say that THEY got
the report...."

Next morning, I went to DX4Win and copied all of the letter/number WAVs and
incorporated them into the Writelog program...for sanity and peace during
future 'quiet hours.'  A subsequent contact with a VK remarked how he didn't
care for the 'robotic sounding report' but I told him that the XYL appreciated
it a lot and he could delete my QSO if it offended him that much....

Despite that poor conditions, (A index was stuck around high 20s most of the
contest) if one stuck it out, there was a payoff in persistence.
Aforementioned D4C was worked on 5 bands.  My mult count was down by 102 from
last year (could have been better if EVERY one of the 1,070 possible in the US
was worked!) but the equipment/antenna(s) worked flawlessly throughout.
Bi-direction mode on SteppIR DB18 really helps getting a signal out in a wider
beam-width and if someone is in the noise level, a push of a button gets the
job done quickly...too fun.

In my Sunday morning (UTC 40 meter run) I was working mostly VEs/Ks on 7.219
and a gravely quiet EU voice asked if I could listen on 7.080.  I did and
worked one western EU which was still amazing to me in that it was well over
2-1/2 hours after his sunrise.  No one else there took me up on the listening
offer and then I went back to monitoring my own freq.  Always fun to have those
little surprises pop up in a contest.

Finally I want to comment on the new posting site here on 3830 - This is
fantastic! Great to be able to see score summaries as they come in instead of
pouring thru 100s and 100s of emails the day after - sort of like reliving the
contest for a whole week after.

73 till the next one.
WN6K, Paul