[SCCC] WN6K - IARU SOAB CW

PAUL DOREY wn6k at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 15 01:01:24 EDT 2013

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: WN6K
Operator(s): WN6K
Station: WN6K

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Vista, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 22:27

  160: ------  ------  ------   ------
   80:     94    ------       8        5
   40:    341  ------     19       12
   20:    208  ------     18        8
   15:    177  ------     19       10
   10:     27    ------       7        4
Total:    847     0      71       39  Total Score = 281,710

This was once again TWO contests wrapped into one... first to see how many
points you could amass in the contest period of 24 hours...second one was to
see who could STAND to last that long....

The 1st 12 hours were challenging in that conditions were sooo bad but we kept
at it thinking 'this will pass - this will pass..." and the second 12
hours did provide some wider openings.  I heard some EU stations on 20 but the
solar flutter was so bad that they could not get calls straight and it was just
better to move on and work ten other guys plus a chance of a mult.  East coast
gang did not have to go so close to the polar path and once again, mult
advantage goes to them.

>From last year, (I only spent a few hours) it was a bigger effort but I think
very down in conditions... Next year's WRTC/IARU might be ok as the group will
be on the water's edge for EU/AF contacts and good thing that they are not
going to be out here in SDG area.

Worked a lot more on 80m than I expected but it was quieter than I would have
thought in the summer and I could hear those that heard my p-nut whistle sigs.
Good thing too as 40 was long and short and pretty frustrating to hear EC
working EU although I did manage a few mults from that area.

W7YAQ was SO/LP/CW and had about 2x the score so being north was probably a
better deal.

OK enough whining - see everyone in the next one....come on Fall!!!

WN6K, Paul