[SCCC] CW Keying Interface

Jeff Kincaid, W6JK w6jk at arrl.net
Tue May 28 15:11:23 EDT 2013

As something of a Luddite, I'm still using CT for logging here at W6JK, which uses the DTR line on a COM port for CW keying.  I hear tell that other guys don't even have COM ports any more, which is frankly pretty shocking over here.  :)  Anyway, since I got the FT-102, and later, the FT-736R, I've been switching interfaces all the time because the older rigs (FT-101, various Swans & Nationals)
 all have negative keying voltages while "modern" rigs are positive.  It's especially annoying when I want to use the Swan Too Drifty (250c) and the FT-736R on the same weekend.
 Does anyone else have these problems?

IR makes a nifty FET-output optoislator that cures this problem.  5 mA from the DTR line will switch 200 Volts of any (or variable) polarity up to 130 mA.  That would seem to cover most any rig I'm familiar with.  I've designed a circuit board that solders directly to the pins of a DB9F connector and fits in the standard plastic shell, and am building up some prototypes.  Is there any demand for this sort of thing these days?

Jeff W6JK.