[SCCC] W6PH (Second try on summary format)

W6ph--- via SCCC sccc at contesting.com
Tue Dec 2 12:02:52 EST 2014

2014 CQWW CW DX Contest

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station:  W6PH

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA
Operating  Time  (hrs): 39+15
Location: CA

Band   QSOs Zones  Countries
160:       18         9          12
80:        80       21           45
40:      449        85         114
20:      370        38         111
15:      669        36         121
10:      485        31         108
Total: 2071      170         511

Total Score  4,020,624

Comments:
Equipment: K3 AL1200 Win-Test

Antennas: (All temporary FD style)
160 - Loaded 1/4 wave sloper  below 3L 20m yagi
80 - 1/4 wave sloper below 40-2CD
40 - 40-2CD at  60 feet (AB-577 nr 1)
20 - 3L yagi at 60 feet (AB-577 nr 2)
15 - 5L yagi  at 60 feet (AB-577 nr 3)
10 - 5L yagi at 50 feet (AB-577 nr 4)

I  spent the week before raising and testing all the  antennas. I have been

doing this for a number of years so it is very  routine. They all came
down
today (Monday). I decided to try assisted for  the first time in  at least
20
years. I believe it provided about a 10 to  15 per cent  increase in
multipliers. No pointing and clicking, just  information  that was on the
band and
giving me call signs of stations that  weren't  signing frequently.

The conditions were absolutely outstanding. But  80m  sounded more like 160
meters with weaker signals than I remember.  I only  worked a handful of
Europeans there. I think that 10 meters was  not as  good on Sunday as it
was on
Saturday. My strategy was to take  as much  advantage of 10 meters early
which I did on Saturday. That  turned out to  be worthwhile. Fifteen meters
was
just wonderful. Lots  of good runs. Forty  meters was awesome and I could
work
anything I  heard. Reflecting on the  numbers on 40 meters shows that there
are  about 13 hours of darkness which  is good for the low bands. Typically

much more time is spent on 40m that  on 80 or 160. On the other hand,  11
hours of daylight is spent among three  bands. I suspect that there  is
more time
spent on 40m than any other band  because of this.

It is always tough to decide whether to run or S&P.  When tons  of stations
are calling you but none are new mults, you wonder  if you  are missing
some
good mults. I guess that is the DXing within us.

There were a few goofs but nothing debilitating.  Basically  everything
worked well. My AL-1200 is serial number 15 and still  chugs  along well
with the
original tube.

This contest is the big one for  the year. I spend a lot  of time preparing
for it. It never lets me  down. This year is a new record  for my station
at
this location and I  think that a lot people are saying  the same thing. It
was a fantastic  run.

Lots of JA's answered my CQ's.  I wonder if any of  them  will send QSL's.

I'll see everyone again from VP9/W6PH for the ARRL  DX  Contests. It will
be
my fifteenth consecutive year of doing  it.

73, Kurt  W6PH