[SCCC] W1AW/6 Digital

Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Fri Feb 14 20:12:00 EST 2014

I had mixed results with W1AW/6 RTTY this afternoon. Ten meters between
noon and 1400 resulted in 96 Qs. Twenty between 1400 and 1600 106 Qs.
Sometimes rate meter above 150, other times no callers for five minutes. If
I went five minutes with no QSO, I took a fifteen minute break which seemed
to refresh the band.

73,

Hank, W6SX

On Friday, February 14, 2014, Dennis Younker NE6I <ne6i at cox.net> wrote:
> Just wanted to comment that I had a W1AW/6 digital slot this morning and
pickings were slim on 20m RTTY. Apparently we in SoCal have done a great
job already of handing out W1AW/6 contacts. I was monitoring some of our
digital slots last night and pickings were slim for those ops as well.

> Today, half way into my second digital slot, with things really thin on
RTTY, I decided to go to JT65. I'd prepared myself earlier by setting up
WSJTX2 and ACLog (N1MM does not support JT65) so the QSY was easy.

> I was quite popular there! I filled the entire hour with contacts very
easily.

> So if you have an assigned digital slot this week and are not getting
much action on RTTY, consider going to JT65. If you've never been on JT65,
this is probably not the time to try it. The exchange and operation is
radically different than on RTTY, CW and SSB.

> If you are on the fence about signing up for a W1AW/6 slot, I encourage
you to sign up for a digital slot. Plenty are still available and if you
elect to go JT65, the bands are open much longer than on RTTY, CW or SSB.
JT65 works well into the very low signal to noise ratios. Again, I would
discourage anyone from trying JT65 for the first time as W1AW/6. We are
representing the ARRL and operation on this mode is quite different than
other modes. If you really want to go nuts and are experienced on the
digital modes, put W1AW/6 on JT9. Identical exchange and operation but even
lower S/N ratios work well. Unfortunately though, fewer ops are on this
mode. I had plenty of action on JT65 so I did not go to JT9.

> Also, don't forget the daytime 40m slots. I'm sure you can work plenty of
western stations regardless of mode. And the "locals" will appreciate
finding you there.