[SCCC] YouTube video of KH6HME beacons

Wayne Overbeck via SCCC sccc at contesting.com
Sat Jul 5 07:13:01 EDT 2014

A pretty good VHF opening from California to Hawaii is
underway.  A lot of people seem to be hearing the 144
and 432 MHz beacons quite well.  Chip M. posted
a video on Facebook of the signal he was receiving from
Hawaii on two meters.  That made me realize just how
good this tropo opening is.

Here's a short video of the KH6HME 144 and 432 MHz
beacons as heard at N6NB near Tustin, CA just after midnight
on July 5, 2014.

http://youtu.be/Uucyw8YO9s0

(Don't delete the period in youtu.be)

There may well be propagation to Hawaii on 1296 as well, but I'm
hearing only very loud radar, not KH6HME.  I believe the radar is coming
from Hawaii because:  1) it peaks up in that direction; 2) it fades
up and down in signal strength at the same rate as the 432 beacon;
and 3) there's not normally any radar signal coming from that direction.

73, Wayne, N6NB