[SCCC] KG7NV (K6ZH) in June VHF contest

Jim Price jnprice at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 16 00:24:00 EDT 2014

Well, 6 meter condx during the contest were better than last year, but not what you'd call great - especially on Sunday.

BUT we had some great pre-contest conditions on Wed, Thurs, and Fri.  Bottom line:  I made over 250 Qs including pre-contest and during the contest - and made quite a few people happy with their 'first ever' DM17 QSO.  And both K6SSS and N6VS are now in the DM17 log - a total of a dozen or so So Calif hams over the past year or so.

Most amazing part of the contest: early Sat. afternoon a huge short-skip opening between Central NV and most of AZ.  I worked virtually all of the AZ grids - and the signals were LOUD (incl. N7CW)!  I also worked XE2CQ in DM12 during that time, but didn't hear any other So Calif.

Most amazing part of the pre-contest:  on Wed. afternoon 6 meters was open huge double-hop to the East Coast.  In about 30 minutes I worked over 40 stations - mostly on CW and mostly W1s, W2s,and W3s.  If only there'd been an opening like this during the contest!  Oh well....  Having a pileup on 6 meter CW was indeed a treat.

I'll next be in Goldfield in late July.  If there are any other folks needing DM17, lemme know.

73 - Jim, K6ZH (a.k.a. KG7NV)