[SCCC] Skimmer Networks

Bill Shell n6ws at n6ws.com
Tue Mar 25 15:09:28 EDT 2014

Hi Dave,

I have been comparing the outputs of VE7CC-1 and N6WS-2 using two
instances of the CC-User Application side-by-side, and there is a
difference in the outputs.  To get similar results between the two, I
had to change back to the ± 100Hz QSY for repeating spots.

The repeating of the same DX station without a frequency change on
VE7CC-1 seems to be 25-30 minutes, but I am not sure.  That is hard to
estimate, because so many skimmer spots are off by a hundred Hertz, and
that minor change looks like refresh of the spot.  I have N6WS-2 set to
resend a DX spot after 10 minutes with no change in frequency, and the
only reason I made that change was to keep my N1MM bandmap fresh.  My
reasoning for doing that was just to get rid of incorrect spots that
accumulate around an actual DX station on the bandmap.  When I had it
set to the default 30 minutes, the bandmap would tend to accumulate a
larger cluster of wrong calls and stations calling around the actual DX
station.  Setting the spot timeout in N1MM to 10 minutes without the
node refreshing spots every 10 minutes meant some valid spots would
disappear prematurely.  (I hope that makes sense.  I have it straight in
my mind, but I'm not sure it translated to my fingers properly.)

The filter tuning in CC-User for spot origin/countries/times/band etc.
are really good features to simplify the filter selection during a
contest.  I got into the habit many years ago of setting the function
keys in the N1MM telnet window to the desired filters for a particular
contest, and I have stuck with that method. Unfortunately, it requires
me to remain proficient in the filter syntax used in DXSpider to program
the keys.  Old habits are hard to break.  Using CC-User really
simplifies the filtering, and they work well with DXSpider nodes.

Dave, if you do get a chance to look at N6WS-2, please let me know what
you think.

73, Bill
N6WS