[SCCC] Very Special Slow-Speed CWops Tests Wednesday/Thursday

Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Sun Nov 9 16:31:15 EST 2014

Loosen your seat belts everyone--we're going to have some slow-speed CW
fun.

We will have Very Special Slow-Speed CWops Tests on 12 November. We will
again be welcoming enthusiastic CW Academy graduates to the wonderful world
of on-the-air CW. These guys and gals are the new blood and future of ham
radio. Our job is to make them feel welcome and eager to come back for
more. To help the tentative make the jump to full-fledged CW aficionados.

CWops Tests rules are at http://www.cwops.org/cwt.html . We will have our
normal three sessions, 1300-1400Z Wednesday, 1900-2000Z Wednesday, and
0300-0400Z Thursday (Wednesday night).

CWops Tests exchange. Members: Name and CWops Member Number. Nonmembers:
Name and State, Province, or DX Country Prefix. CW Academy graduates: Name
and CWA.

Everyone please limit speed to 20 WPM maximum. CQ at 20 WPM. Even when you
are working someone you normally work at 35 WPM, please send no faster than
20 WPM. When you answer someone CQing at less than 20 WPM, answer at his
speed. When someone answers your 20 WPM CQ at a slower speed, match his
speed.

Thank stations by name. Make the new guys feel welcome.

If appropriate, help stations by explaining CWT exchange.

If someone wants to rag chew, rag chew for a bit.

Send lots of FBs and other encouragement.

Us working us—we do that all the time. Please make a special effort to work
the new guys.

Send a welcoming QSL card or email to each new station worked.

Our Very Special Slow-Speed CWops Tests are not just for CW Academy
graduates. Please talk about the event at your local clubs. Encourage
CW-tentative hams  to get on and have fun. Help, encourage, mentor.

Mark your calendars. Very Special CWops Tests 11/12 June. The graduates are
our new blood. They are the hams who will carry on the CW tradition. Let's
make a very special effort to get on and make the graduates feel welcome.
Let's infect them with the CW bug.

*The first rule of CW is to have fun and to share the fun. This week, more
than ever let's share the fun with our Very Special Slow-Speed CWops Tests.
*
Special note. I have it on good authority that W1AW will be active. The Old
Man will be sending *W1AW/5 HIRAM MS* at *20 WPM* or less. It will be a
thrill for our new guys to work W1AW.

CW Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX

CWops Tests Manager