[SCCC] Fwd: CaQP N5ZO/6 SOFixed HP

Marko L Myllymaki marko.l.myllymaki at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 05:19:45 EDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <webform at b4h.net>
Date: Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 1:55 AM
Subject: CaQP N5ZO/6 SOFixed HP
To: 3830 at contesting.com, marko.l.myllymaki at gmail.com

                    California QSO Party

Call: N5ZO/6
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: N5ZO/6

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: San Diego
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    20     1
   80:   121    21
   40:   263    83
   20:   314    83
   15:   411    75
   10:   221    73
    6:     1     1
    2:     0     1
--------------------
Total:  1351   338  Mults = 56  Total Score = 264,656

I think this was 1st time I operated full time in CQP.  Thinking of it,
this was
probably also 1st time I operated something longer than NAQP from my home
station which I never before had either...  It sure is great to just walk
down
to the shack and have everything always hooked up and more or less ready to
go.
 My 2nd K-3 is at Elecraft, so I was using TS-590 for 2nd radio, great
value for
money.  Larry N6NC reported some keying issues on my signal during the
contest
and I actually used some off time to look into it and was maybe able to
improve
it somewhat.  Station is still being slowly built and I don't have much
antennas
on my 2 towers yet and all antennas here are temporary still.  I decided
before
the start that I would mostly do CW to practice for upcoming CQWW as I plan
be at ZD8O for CW this year and it gets busy there.

I worked actually 2 VE8s and also VE5, all answering me, but I never heard
anyone from ID or ND, so still missed couple mults.

Looking some statistics, I worked total of 140 EU QSOs, which is fantastic
!  I
even worked several of them on 3 bands and at least SP9LJD on 4 bands.
Hamad
9K2HN answered me !  But it was hard work making all those DX QSOs as
without
much gain on current antennas everything was very weak with lots of QSB and
had
to keep asking many repeats.  Sunday conditions were weird, with overall
better
DX propagation but much noisier bands and lower signal levels.

This is really great contest and I will be back for sure.  I already have
most
of the aluminum that will be going up the towers so next year I hope to hear
much better.  I also still have much to improve on my 2nd radio use and I
need
to figure out some automation issues for it as my headphone/keying/mic
switching stuff is very primitive still and I'm sure I'm also not taking
much
of the advantage of all logging SW capabilities for SO2R.  I've been still
working on getting used to have 2 audio streams on my ears...

Current setup:
K-3 and TS590, 2x Alpha 87A
6 element multi monobander at 80 ft, ie it has 2 elements on each 20/15/10,
and
A3S tribander at 30 ft Spiderbeam mast behind the house.  That A3S at 30 ft
is
usually better than those 2 full size elements at 90 ft, which still
surprises
me.
For 40 m using old M2 2 element LL shortened yagi at 90 ft, which still
doesn't
quite work as I think it should, ie just marginally better than my full size
vertical on ground level with just few radials on it.  It is one of the
current
projects to figure this 40 m yagi out.
For 80 m inverted V and for 160 m sloping wire from top of the tower, forced
with antenna tuner.  No special listening antennas which is one of the
things
to look into.

TNX for QSOs !  Marko N5ZO