[SCCC] WTB- 40m rotatable dipole

Glenn Rattmann k6na at cts.com
Sat Feb 14 13:35:56 EST 2015

Tim,
If you are looking for a little project, you could consider starting
with a Cushcraft WARC dipole (12, 17, and 30m, with traps).  Add a
weather-box at the feedpoint for switching-in center-load coils to
each side of the dipole and tune it for 40m resonance.  I've heard of
a guy or two who have done this, or similar.

If you already have a 10-15-20m tribander Yagi on this tower, then
you could get the WARC bands this way, too.  If you already have
something like a SteppIR Yagi up there for 10-20m, then the Cushcraft
method isn't so attractive because you already have the 12-17m bands
covered anyway.

If you don't care about 12-17, you could design/build a full-size 30m
dipole using DXE 6ft lengths of tubing (very cheap and free
shipping).  Probably around 46ft long and very efficient.  Then add
the coil-switching box in the middle to get 40m coverage.  The
overall length will be similar to the shorty-forty element lengths
that are out there commercially.

73, Glenn K6NA