[SCCC] VP9/W6PH ARRL DX CW SOABLP

W6ph--- via SCCC sccc at contesting.com
Fri Feb 27 08:34:54 EST 2015

 ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station:  VP9GE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs):  42.1

160:  354     54
80:  360    58
40:   836    58
20: 1175     60
15:  954    59
10:   555    51
-------------------
Total: 4233    335  Total Score = 4,254,165

Comments:

Equipment:  IC-7000  Win-Test
Antennas:
160 Dipole at 30 feet
80/40 Dipoles at  25 feet
20-10 A4S at 25 feet

I probably shouldn't do this at age 73.  But it satisfies the W6SX  Prime
Directive:  Have Fun.

I arrived on Thursday to find most of  the antennas needed work.  There had
been
a bunch of gales across the  island the previous week.  Ed and I worked on
the
antennas on Friday and  got everything working with one exception.  There
was an
S9 plus 10 db  noise level on the 80m dipole.  I was an alligator on that
band
and my  80m numbers show that.  We have no idea what is causing that.

160m  was exceptionally quiet this year and I put quite a few west coast
contacts  in the log.  This is the best multiplier that I have ever had on
that
band.

10 meters is still a tough band for me because I skip over  the northeast.
However, Sunday was a big surprise when I put out a CQ and  KM3T (NH) came
right
back to me as if it was 15m.  I ended up working a  bunch of the northeast
but
still missed VT, RI, MD (where was LPL), and  DC.

The IC-7000 and Win-Test worked flawlessly.  I have been using  this same
radio
since the ARRL Test in 2006 and it has never let me  down.

I put a lot familiar SoCal callsigns in the log.  Thanks for the  calls.

I apologize if I didn't sign enough.  Two things come to mind  which are not
good reasons.  First, my call is very long and second, I  could still hear a
weak station calling that I wanted to get in the log  before he got
hammered by
louder stations.  Neither are good excuses but  I offer them.  I don't
think I
ever went over a minute without signing  my call.

As always I have to thank Ed, VP9GE for his wonderful  hospitality.  He is
the
consummate host.  He has been one of the  famous people in my life.

See you for ARRL DX Phone.

73, Kurt  W6PH