[SCCC] Fwd: IARU N5ZO SOABCW HP

Marko L Myllymaki marko.l.myllymaki at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 08:04:08 EDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <webform at b4h.net>
Date: Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 3:32 PM
Subject: IARU N5ZO SOABCW HP
To: 3830 at contesting.com, marko.l.myllymaki at gmail.com

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N5ZO
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: N5ZO

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: Southern CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    36            8       2
   80:   112           12       7
   40:   500           27      18
   20:   805           30      35
   15:   139           18      17
   10:     2            1       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  1594    0      96      80  Total Score = 927,168

My plan was to do mixed mode part time and experiment with my newly built
YCCC
SO2R box and mixed mode SO2R operation which I never really tried before.
But
maybe 8 or 10 hours into it I still had  not gone to SSB so I changed my
plans
then to do full time CW only effort.  I probably compromised on getting some
mults on my log as I did not worry about any of that until about middle
when I
thought to continue full time to the end.  I have to say that I find both
mults
very disorienting for me, as I think this is the only contest I ever work
where
ITU zones are in use and same with HQs.  But it is great mid-summer event
nevertheless with good activity for 24 hrs.  Of the bands 15 was very poor
here
on West Coast and 10 was non-existent.  But had great fun and it was good to
test my antennas after getting most of them up recently.
Current setup:
Tower 1: 89 ft crank-up with 5 el 15 m and 4 el 20 m, in a month plan to
have 3
el 40 on this tower also.
Tower 2: 89 ft crank-up with 2 el 40 m and C31XR, also inverted V for 80 and
top fed sloper for 160 are supported by this tower.
Separate mast: 30ft mast with A3S tribander
Pair of K-3 radios and Alpha 87A amps.
YCCC SO2R box felt very slick after always operating SO2R with dumb flip
switches for both receive audio and TX control.  This thing is integrated
with
N1MM+ !  There is now more to improve on operating.  I guess I have finally
got
to basic SO2R level with rather primitive system I have been using for
couple
years now, and I hope that this YCCC box (which is still very simple) will
help
me to advance to next level with my SO2R operating.
TNX for QSOs and see you on next one, 73 de Marko N5ZO