[SCCC] N6MI on vanity call signs

Wayne Overbeck overbeck6 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 16:24:47 EDT 2016

Ray:  the good thing about "no-code" extras is that, although
they have access to the prime cw sub-bands, they never use
that privilege.  The fact that an extra class license requires
only a written test (albeit a fairly rigorous one, in my view) means
that we have a lot more extras than ever before--and not enough
call signs for them.

But not every extra licensee even wants a 1x2.  Anecdote:  my
partner Carrie, W6TAI, has her surname as her vanity call.
The 1x2 of an old friend, now deceased, became available
and was not snapped up on the first two days of availability.
I tried to get Carrie to apply, but she declined, preferring her
surname 1x3.

I will offer my own call sign grievance:  the DMV does not seem
to have a mechanism to reclaim call signs as car licenses when
the holder is deceased and the call sign is assigned to someone
else by the FCC.  The family of the man who held W6TAI from the
1930s until his passing about a decade ago seems to have
renewed the "W6TAI" license plate, perhaps as a family heirloom.
Carrie was refused call sign plates by the DMV, despite offering
proof of a valid extra class license with W6TAI as her call.  She had
to pay for a vanity license plate with a variation of her call to get
anything like call sign plates from the DMV.

If the rationale for having call sign license plates is to facilitate
identification of licensed hams in an emcomm situation, issuing
plates bearing ham calls to non-hams seems wrong.

73, Wayne, N6NB