[SCCC] W6SJ SK

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 02:02:27 EDT 2017

Very sorry to hear of the loss of Randy, W6SJ.

He was an early entrant in the NCCC Sprint Ladder and winner for one of the
contest's divisions early on.

In the 2 years, 3 months that I worked for Quest Diagnostics/Nichols
Institute in San Juan Capistrano in 2006-2008, Randy (and sometimes Carole)
and I got together at their beautiful home and at restaurants; Randy and I
had several lunches at the UC Irvine Faculty Club, where he gave me a tour
of the bird feeding operation that he ran on campus.  Randy was a neighbor
of the wife of Al Nichol's (founder of Nichols Laboratories) , so we had an
immediate connection.  He also knew the brother of my good friend Dave,
K6DDO (sk) who was a member of our Harvey Mudd College ARC (WA6LYL) in the
1960's in Claremont, and we shared our insights into the complexity of
K6DDO.

Randy's Independence Mortgage Company (www.loan-wolf.com) provided a useful
approach to understanding home mortgages.  He was the author of two books
on home loans ("How to Save Thousands of Dollars on Your Home Mortgage" and
"How to Find a Home and Get a Mortgage on the Internet"). While I was at
Nichols Randy got me a equity line on my rental home in Marin County, which
proved its utility last year when I renovated my rental property in Bend OR
and sold it.  For a while, on my by-weekly trips home to Marin County Randy
provided parking for me at his office near the John Wayne Airport until the
building owner caught on to what we were doing.

73 Bill n6zfo