[SCCC] Upcoming Board of Directors Meeting, Proposed Changes to Bylaws, Code of Conduct, Censure of N6AA

Ken Widelitz kwidelitz at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 15:30:52 EST 2017

Dear Dick,

I am writing to you as my ARRL Division director to express my views on
recent and proposed actions by the ARRL Board of Directors.

I have read the Code of Conduct. While I agree that it is important for a
non-profit organization to have such a statement, there is no legal
requirement that it contain measures such as those in the recently adopted
ARRL Code of Conduct, which I consider draconian. I specifically object to
the following:

Code of Conduct section 6. c. regarding Confidentiality:

"Board member may not, in disclosing anything about the Board's
deliberations, discuss or disclose the votes of the Board or of individual
Board members (including his/ her own) unless the Board has previously made
the votes public."

How is it possible for a member to conscientiously vote to re-elect a
representative to the Board of Directors without knowing the positions he
has taken?

Not only is this effectively a gag order on directors, more importantly it
puts incumbent directors at a distinct disadvantage in contested elections.
A potential new director can give his honest views on issues that have been
decided by the Board and such candidate can state how he would have voted on
past issues and how he will vote on upcoming issues. The incumbent must
remain silent.

There should be a limit to confidentiality, perhaps extending to Executive
Committee discussions.

I am also concerned that the Code of Conduct demands blind loyalty to votes
by the Board. The only option for a director who disagrees is to resign from
the Board. That is the opposite of what you would want from a Board member.
Dissenting opinions must be heard. Otherwise, you wind up with a Board that
only does what it is told to do, as dissenters are disqualified from
dissenting.

I am most disturbed by the Board of Directors censuring you. I consider your
honesty and integrity to be above reproach. While I was not personally at
the event at which you made statements that resulted in your being censured,
I have been told Tim Duffy, K3LR, was in attendance and backed your version
of events. I consider Tim's honesty and integrity to also be above reproach.
I admire the fact that you have not resigned in response to this back room
backstabbing. I want you to know that as a result of the foregoing, I have
decided not to donate my VY2TT QTH and equipment to the ARRL upon my demise
as I had been considering. A number of ARRL members who have been major
donors have told me they also decided to withdraw their financial support of
the League as a result of their action in this matter.

I am further concerned about proposed changes to the by-laws that would make
certain officers voting members of the Board of Directors. That would have
the effect of giving members in the home Divisions of such officers more
voting power than members of other Divisions. That is a very bad idea.

Very Truly Yours,

Ken Widelitz, K6LA / VY2TT