[SCCC] Help with new style cut numbers

w6um at aol.com w6um at aol.com
Fri Feb 24 11:55:03 EST 2017

Kurt, et al

Good to hear from another about the genesis of alternate ways to send cw versions of numbers for power in ARRL DX contests. When we all used bugs, a long dash for zero was SOP. Wonderful memories of KH6IJ sending those three Os to represent a KW.

Originally both DX and Ws could send any 3-digit number of their choice after the RST. It became difficult to explain this during the contest to DX ops who may have had some difficulty understanding our language, so the League changed the rules so that all we had to do was ask for their power. At first we Ws also sent our power, which made it easier for "non-combatants" to use this as an example to give us a valid contest exchange.

The first year this rule was established I heard someone, of course it must have been a W6, explain the rules to a DX station not in the contest and say "Therefore my number to you is '599 000'". The DX station came back and said "But that means you are running zero power; I do not understand how that is possible."

Not as hard to understand as "rr" for power.

73,
Chas., W6UM