[SCCC] Fwd: KZ5 Research Help

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 00:40:16 EDT 2017

Thanks for posting this, Jim.  I made the following posting to the Canal
Zone Ham Operators Facebook page, which is easily joined, and posted the
attached photo.

"From Aug. 6-16, 1964 hams were encouraged to work KZ5's during the 50th
Anniversary celebration of the Canal. That summer, working in research at a
textile company in Western NC, (American Enka Corp) as a summer employee
prior to attending grad school at Purdue, some ham activity was possible
using the HT-32 and SX-100 dragged from CA in my '62 Falcon. The 7 Q's on
15m (1 AM, 6 SSB) were KZ5KL, KZ5WW (Julie), KZ5AF (George), KZ5KM (Ken),
KZ5AW (Jim), KZ5OA (Anita), and KZ5NM (Al). Two YL's! Later the certificate
arrived and, 43 years later, I still have it. The signer is Paul
Runnestrand, KZ5PR, Pres of the Canal Zone ARA. I can contribute the
original to a museum display if requested. 73, Bill, N6ZFO in Kelseyville,
CA. [K6OPI/4 in 1964]"