[SCCC] SOTA Experience

Brandon Clark BrandonClark84Home at outlook.com
Thu Jul 27 12:52:20 EDT 2017

Good morning David,

I can't speak with authority about Nevada, but I've done a number of SOTA activations around here in southern California.

Logistics is usually just a matter of checking out the trail conditions and allowing for time on top to activate. If you're in the Sierras you have to be careful of lightning in the afternoon. I would try to start my activation no later than 11:30 or 12:00, and watch for thunderheads. If you're in the southern desert areas like Death Valley (my favorite) then lightning isn't a problem, but wind and sun can be. Too hot to go there right now.

Recommended bands would be . . . yes. lol. For HF I've only used 40 and 20. I have a full-size linked dipole for 40-20-10 that I use, and signals are usually full scale from the west coast stations, and a few S-units down for everyone else. On 40 you'll get Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and Washington regularly. 20 will give you Kansas, Texas, etc. and sometimes east coast stations. Just be sure to self-spot either via SMS or APRS.

I use a Yaesu 817ND with five watts, and I'm usually getting 57 to 58 signal reports from everyone. You might throw together a dipole or linked dipole and compare side to side with your end fed. A 40 M dipole seems big at home, but on a peak there is always plenty of room to set up, and as a naturally resonant antenna it just works great.

VHF/UHF is also good if you're close to a population center, but be wary of interference. Activating on 2 M in the inland empire area is tricky because when you're up high you will be hearing EVERYONE around you, so it is difficult to keep from stepping on someone's QSO. Self-spot in all cases, and use a frequency other than the national calling, when possible. VHF/UHF is useless in the remote areas. Even APRS beacons usually don't get out.

If there is anything else I can help with just let me know.

73,

Brandon