[SCCC] [WriteLog] CTY-2702 Country Files - 14 February 2017

Alan Zack k7acz at cox.net
Mon Mar 6 21:29:04 EST 2017

Jim and WriteLog users

I am using WriteLog ver 12.11D Nov 2016. I will upgrade to ver 12.15 (or
later) in time for the CQWWDX in the fall.

If I understand WRITELOG things correctly before each contest I start a new
contest log (example last weekend's ARRL DX SSB). Then I go to FILE>WEB
UPDATE and click on WEB UPDATE COUNTRY FILES. This places a folder
WL_CTY.ZIP in my C: PROGRAM DATA/WRITELOG folder. I go to this WL_CTY.ZIP
file and right click and select EXTRACT ALL. This then places many DAT and
BIN files into my C: PROGRAM DATA/WRITELOG folder. I go to the file
WL_CTY.DAT and open it using Notepad. I do a search for VERSION and find
VERSION= Mauritus 3B8. So I assume I have the correct CTY file in use. Am I
correct to assume this?????

If so, I need to warn everyone who used WriteLog in the ARRL DX SSB last
weekend that the call WP2AA comes up as United States and NOT U.S. Virgin
Islands. I worked them on four bands and corrected my log from United States
to KP2 U.S. Virgin Islands after each contact. After the contest I went back
to the above mentioned WL_CTY.DAT file and searched for WP2AA. It shows
WP2AA as a USA entry WP2AA(5)[8].

What is strange is when I enter WP2AA into my regular logger DX4WIN it shows
up as KP2 U.S. Virgin Islands. But I have not updated my DX4WIN CTY file for
awhile so maybe the latest DX4WIN CTY file also has WP2AA mapped
incorrectly.

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who worked WP2AA in the ARRL
DX SSB

73

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ