[SCCC] AFCI suddenly tripping from 40 meter signal

Marty Woll n6vi at socal.rr.com
Mon Aug 27 20:44:31 EDT 2018

Bob, have you read this?  It may help.

http://www.arrl.org/gfci-and-afci-devices

Marty N6VI

-----Original Message-----
From: SCCC [mailto:sccc-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Bob Grubic
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 3:47 PM
To: Southern California Contest Club
Subject: [SCCC] AFCI suddenly tripping from 40 meter signal

Hi all,

I've been in my condo for 13 years now and operate with 100 watts into wire
dipoles in my attic. This past weekend--for the first time--a 15 amp Square
D circuit breaker tripped from my 40 meter signal. No other bands do this.

Doing some tests and searching online seem to show that it's the fault of
the "arc fault circuit breaker" (AFCI) getting old.

The internet has said some new ones were manufactured with the name HAM on
them to indicate they would not falsely trip in the presence of an rf
signal (ham radio), and that other newer ones have been made to correct
this false tripping. Mine is 13 years old now.

Another suggestion online says to put in a standard circuit breaker and
take out the AFCI. I'd rather not do that. I'd rather put in a "corrected"
AFCI--or maybe just a newer, "younger" one.

Since Abraham Lincoln once said "you can't believe everything you read on
the internet," I'd appreciate any comment or suggestions from this august
group. I'll bet somebody knows something!

I'd like to keep contesting on 40 meters--even with my attic dipoles. (Even
a bad antenna works better than no antenna.)

Thanks very much.

73,
Bob NC6Q
(in Signal Hill, CA, wouldn't you know!)