[SCCC] FT8 Roundup

Wayne Overbeck overbeck6 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 00:52:44 EST 2018

I think the first (annual?) FT8 Roundup and the new 77-bit version of
FT8 were both a real success.

I got on with 100 watts and a 14-foot-long loaded dipole (MFJ-1775) up
15 feet.  In less than three hours I made 48 contacts in 20 states/
provinces and 8 other countries.  I was able to work deep into Asia
on 40 last night with that ridiculously marginal setup, thanks to FT8's
weak signal capabilities.  I was working signals that were below the audible
noise floor in my receiver.

FT8 now handles full contest exchanges and compound call signs nicely.
The problem that arose when some operators checked the "North American
VHF contest" box and others didn't is also gone.

In short, I think the advent of FT8 Version 2.0 is the second-best thing that's
happened in amateur radio this fall.

73, Wayne, N6NB