[SCCC] FT8 Roundup rules and sponsorship

Wayne Overbeck overbeck6 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 21:20:32 EST 2018

Jim, K6ZH, asked a good question:

>Hi Wayne  - I guess I wasn't paying attention, although I'm a frequent FT8
>and MSK144 user.  When was the "roundup?"  Is it intended to be a period
>event?  Just curious.  73 - Jim K6ZH

The FT8 Roundup began at 1800z on Saturday and ended at 2359z Sunday.
The full rules and supporting information are at:

www.rttycontesting.com

Cabrillo logs go to:

 ft8-ru at cqww.com.

I think the FT8 development team played a major role in writing the
rules, patterning them after the rules of the ARRL RTTY Roundup, which
will include FT8 for the first time this year.  But since the logs go to
CQWW.com, I assume it's affiliated with the CQ Worldwide contests.

The ARRL Contest Newsletter published information about this contest
recently, but I don't think it's intended to be an ARRL-sponsored contest.
I do think it's intended to be an annual event on the first weekend in
December.

Already about 80 scores from the FT8 Roundup have been posted on
3830.  I'm in about 65th place in SOLP and headed downhill from there.
Inasmuch as the power limit is 100 watts, the rules say those who run
SOHP will be checklogged!

As of this writing, the highest claimed QSO totals are just below 800 Qs,
which isn't bad for a 24-hour contest where most Qs take 60 seconds to
complete.  (The rules say to operate no more than 24 hours of the
30-hour contest period.)

One attraction of this mode, of course, is that it makes it possible to work
much weaker signals than on CW, RTTY or SSB.  It means guys with an
MFJ-1775 (a 14-foot loaded dipole for 40-10) hidden below their roofline
can work worldwide DX on 40 on a daily basis.  It also means DXers with
power and good antennas can work quintuple-hop sporadic E on six
meters better than ever before.

73,
Wayne, N6NB