[SCCC] Fwd: WN6K - ARRL TEN METER CONTEST - SOLP- MIXED

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:54:03 EST 2018

Hi Paul,

Heard you intermittently on Sunday, S-0 to S-1, but with bursts to S-3
(sporadic meteors?), But no luck,  with failed amp and FT-1000, I was
relegated to a PRO-II at 100w.

This can also be a frustrating QTH because of the LOW noise..  I can hear
everything!

Anyway, good job; I exceeded last year's  HP mixed mode score by 40%-- this
year LP CW -- and managed to complete "The Rosie Project", by Graeme
Simsion (2013) an entertaining book on the "wife project," prescribed by my
xyl.

 ARRL 10m needs an over-haul .   I would like to see:
   -- allow FT-8, if nothing else to extend the openings  and start earlier
[on Sat, I was monitoring the two CE's when I just began to hear, ESP, the
4's that were responding. . these could easily have been worked FT-8 but
not CW for about 30mins.]
   -- allow meteor scatter software. . one can't really do meteors well on
CW unless it's a meteor shower; we were a week early for the Geminids,
which peak next weekend.  Although it's a time-broad shower: probably some
Geminids during 10m contest every year.  It could be an important aspect of
the 10m contest, but the rules people have to create the opportunity for
us.  [If others feel this would be useful, maybe we could formalize a
request to ARRL -- their lack of innovation is I think, a problem in our
area of contesting]

Then Sunday morning there was a great Es opening into N Cal very
specifically to VE6 (worked WQ, BBP (?), TL and one other in a few mins)
and maybe Montana (N9RV worked easily).  An odd thing. . KV0Q (CO) was
strong much of Sunday around noon and later, but nothing else heard from
that area.

To my way of thinking, 10m is a interestingly challening contest at all
periods of the cycle, but especially now.

73 Bill n6zfo
(NCCC and SCCC member)