[SCCC] AM to SSB transition

Art Goddard w6xd at ca.rr.com
Mon Dec 17 16:28:20 EST 2018

Wayne, et al,

Collins Radio was at the forefront of SSB, using their Permeability Tuned
Oscillator (PTO) and mechanical filter technology. Collins published a
seminal handbook, "Fundamentals of Single Side Band" in 1957, (2nd ed in
1959)

My earliest recollection of SSB was at Worcester Tech, W1YK, when the club
station acquired a Central Electronics 20-A exciter about 1961.  I don't
remember if we tried to drive the club's Globe King 400 with the 20-A, and
have no idea what the output signal may have sounded like.  Meanwhile, I was
one of the net control stations for the Western Mass Phone Net and we
continued to operate on AM.

In the mid-60s, when I took a job at Jansky & Bailey in Thailand, they had a
KWM-2A and we used SSB for comms between the office in Bangkok and the field
site near Khao Yai National Park.

Later, as SSB was really taking hold, I was a grad student at Montana State
and worked with Prof. Donald K Weaver who had patented the third method of
generating an SSB signal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-sideband_modulation.