[SCCC] ARRLDX CW N6WS SO Unlimited HP

Bill Shell N6WS n6ws at n6ws.com
Sun Feb 18 20:13:57 EST 2018

Well guys, here are my results.  I had fun searching and pouncing, but
in a slow relaxed sorta way.  I did hear Dick (W6TK), Kent (N6WT), and
Bill (N6RV) on, but not very often.  I kinda miss the old radio.  I
could always tell which band Dick was operating, and make an effort not
to interfere with him.  Now I have to tune to his frequency before I
hear him.

The propagation on 160m was a real disappointment.  The week prior to
the contest was fantastic with openings to Europe almost every evening,
but during the contest it was terrible.  It was only good to the
Caribbean, South America, and Eastern Asia.  I did order my second
MA160V, and hope to have it up and working soon.

These 40m problems with SteppIR antennas are a real pain.

73, Bill
N6WS

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N6WS
Operator(s): N6WS
Station: N6WS

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: CA

160: 25 14
80: 53 31
40: 121 76
20: 125 93
15: 84 42
10: 12 6
-------------------
Total: 420 262 Total Score = 330,120

Rig : Yaesu FTDX5000MP, Expert 2K-FA
Antennas : SteppIR DB36, 80m Sloper, MA160V Vertical
Soapbox : I was just hunting and pouncing during the contest. It was
not a serious effort, although it did surprise me to see I had operated 20
hours. I did try to run on 10m just to see if anyone was tuning, but
that was a
bust.  160m was somewhat of a disappointment given the excellent propagation
on 160M the week before the contest.

Best 73, Bill / N6WS