[SCCC] 160m Antennas

Timothy Coker n6win at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 13:32:02 EST 2018

I'm using "4) Inverted-L with the top at 55ft, and the far end on a 40ft pole." except in my case it's 50' top with horizontal end going NE over front of my single story house and tied off to ground level nearly at the side walk.
As Bruce requested, my lot is 70' wide and 100' long. My radials are just eight 1/8 wave 14 awg thhn wires with four going off to either side of my house and then wrapping along the perimeter to the east.
I'm lazy here... but my wife is pretty awesome about things and with all the concrete slabs in the back I am not going to trench underneath on this antenna. For me it's all about points... so it's just not worth what I know would be best for efficiency and end score (except obviously in a 160 only contest).
Now what I would like to really mention as something both Bruce and Bill might want to try...
Bob, N6TV, turned me on to VE3DO's RX Loop design when we were discussing an RX antenna for my skimmer. I ended up building one as per K9YC's excellent powerpoint. I have been so happy to have it! Not only is it a great all band skimmer RX antenna, but I have it split over to my left K3's RX input. I have found that I hear SO much better with that loop running East/West with it's front pointing east.

 I'm going to build a second one to run North/South and bring it in on an A/B switch to my left K3 so as to get some additionally nulling as needed based on where the signal is coming from.
 http://audiosystemsgroup.com/VE3DO.pdf
This loop is so much better than a previous active round magnetic loop that I had tried in 2012 for both the skimmer and 160m RX input. I believe only beverages are better, but I just don't have the lot size.

73,
Tim / N6WIN.