[SCCC] ARRL Board Actions

Jim McCook w6ya at cox.net
Tue Jan 2 14:03:34 EST 2018

Dear ARRL Board members,

Without getting into the long list of reasons that you have heard from
other ARRL members, let me just say that I'm extremely _disappointed_
with the Board over the recent changes and proposals that we have all
read about, beginning with the so-called "Board of Governance and
Conduct of Members."  How did ARRL survive so long _without_ this
overbearing, controversial document that leaves so much to interpretation?

When I first heard about this document I read it multiple times, and was
shocked that ARRL would actually produce something like that.  Why was
it suddenly necessary to produce it, unless it was an overbearing
political move by the Board majority?  I have seen several negative
opinions of it expressed by prominent ARRL member attorneys like K6FG,
K1VR, K6LA and others, who also commented on the ridiculous censure of
N6AA that was apparently based on the opinion of an observer at the ARRL
Forum at the last Visalia DX Convention.

I read the "document" well before the convention, so was listening
carefully to Dick at the Forum to see how he handled this "proclamation"
in his address and discussions.  I noticed that he presented nothing
beyond statements of fact regarding that document and his own
limitations, so am of the opinion that the so-called "evidence" of his
misdoing was simply false news. I know what I heard, and he did NOT
violate any part of the "proclamation."  Some people are using 3rd hand
information which, as we all know, is not dependable.  When he spoke to
the San Diego DX Club last summer, I noticed he was careful NOT to even
express and qualify personal opinions, which the "proclamation" does not
restrict.  This was before the censure.

Remember, ARRL Board members are ELECTED, not appointed!  It should be
clearly obvious that they should be _unrestricted_ in communicating
their views and actions ofthe Board to members.  Can you imagine any
politician being _elected_ to office by withholding his opinions,
disagreements, and other actions in Congress?

When I read the N2YBB proposals about adding other staff as voting
members with the Board, and ESPECIALLY the proposal by K5UZ that the
Board would reserve the right to terminate the membership of a ARRL
member (with NO qualification), I was horrified, realizing that
political power moves like this will only destroy all ARRL credibility
with its members.  These appear to be obvious political attempts to grab
more power by the current Board majority.

I have recently removed ARRL from my will and will not support ARRL
financially until all these issues have been completely resolved.

73, Jim
W6YA
ARRL Life Member