[SCCC] Fw: Re: [cwops] SO2R's and station limitations

Timothy Coker n6win at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 13:00:02 EDT 2018

 Hi all, I thought this post might be of interest to you guys. A question was asked on the CWOps reflector about what a great op looks like while winning and what the same guy could do at your own station. I immediately thought of Danny as he's operated from my place showing me how my own station can do.

Here's what I shared over there:

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Timothy Coker via Groups.Io <n6win=yahoo.com at groups.io>
Cc: "cwops at groups.io" <cwops at groups.io>Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018, 9:52:35 AM PDTSubject: Re: [cwops] SO2R's and station limitations
  NAQP and CaQP... what N6MJ, Danny, can do with a single 50' tower. C31XR, XM240, and wires.

Danny operated my station for a number of NAQP CW's and NA Sprints as I was quite timid back then on CW, enjoyed the company, and wanted to see what could be done.
In January of 2013 Danny operated seemingly bored with my station limitations as this Youtube video shows him operating SO2R and playing Words With Friends (or was it Angry Birds)? He easily bested my top Jan NAQP CW score of 169k. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqkw05ClqQ4&t=4s
Bud beat us that year taking 5th to our 6th place.
AA3B 358,308 1332 269 116/39 235/48 317/54 308/50 235/47 121/31 FRC
N6WIN (N6MJ) 339,020 1265 268 37/18 121/42 264/53 262/58 358/58 223/39 SCCC #1

In CaQP Danny won the state but we both forgot to submit the log. However, the 3830 clearly tells the story:
http://www.3830scores.com/showrumor.php?arg=5taEzdfcfvsa0
In 2013 Danny made 2658 Qso's, 57 Mults, for 371,811, shy of his standing record setting 2012 finish from W6YI of 3070 Qso's, 58 Mults, and 431,549. He blew my best 2012 finish of 2165 Qso's, 57 Mults, for 296k out of the water!
Nobody that I can tell has ever scored a claimed 371k in the CaQP before... and he came in and did it from a small city lot with a broken CW keyer and another rig with a broken PTT line without the host on site as I was away with the K6Z CaQP expedition team.
I hope that gives you guys some glimpse as to what can happen at your own station... often times its NOT the hardware, but ourselves.
73,
Tim / N6WIN.