[SCCC] W0AIH SK

Timothy Coker n6win at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 12:02:20 EDT 2018

“His station was a classic one to work on every big contest over the years.
Met Mary and him wen they visited Seville five years ago. First thing he
did when arrived home was climbing to the top of my tower, dressed in suit,
no safety belt, taking some pictures from there. He said it was a must to
do when meeting a ham at the station.”
>From another ham on another reflector.
If that was indeed a habit, like I’ve heard from other hams about their own past climbing habits, it may have played into his death this time. Maybe he was strapped in and his gear failed like Milt, N5IA, who’s leather working strap broke? Too early to know.
In my old career we tried to learn from what killed others as a way to honor them by not making the same mistakes (if any could be identified). I’m no expert tower climber but I could be considered to be such in firearms training. Safety rules come about from bad things that happen and sadly they aren’t always followed, even after the death(s) of friend’s.
In ZF we were teaching a young SCCC’er to climb a tower. We made sure he learned how to climb while being clipped in 100% of the time regardless of the starting height. It created some jokes when we had him clip in above his head with his fall arrest strap while his feet were still on the ground... but what we were creating for him was a good habit.
The following day a local non-ham suited up to help him and very efficiently climbed the full height of the tower without clipping in, until at the top. What was very nice to see was that our young club member didn’t let this interrupt his learned safety procedures... but it did take him more time to get to the top. We had the time and our club member made it home without injury. We didn’t heckle him or give any undue pressure to get up faster, we were impressed with him.
I hope nobody views this as a rant or disrespectful. It’s preliminary information circulating and some ideas of how to honor by way of learning and improving so that our guys can be safe.
Thanks Marty for sharing your past and why you decided to be safer.
RIP, Paul

Tim / N6WIN

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, November 1, 2018, 07:18, Marty Woll <n6vi at socal.rr.com> wrote:

That is sad news, indeed.  I remember Paul visiting my KH6 station back in the early '90's and climbing my 40m tower to take an "aerial" photo of the other towers.  He loved climbing, as many of us do.

I don't know whether we'll learn the details of the accident, but this is yet another sobering reminder that we are not invincible just because we've been climbing for decades.  Before my son was born, I used to free-climb my 100-footer and clip in at the top.  That stopped when I realized the potential impact on my family.  Let's all be careful up there.

RIP, Paul

Marty N6VI