[SCCC] OT: Ham Plates in CA

aa6aa at arrl.net aa6aa at arrl.net
Tue Nov 6 23:49:11 EST 2018

This has nothing to do with the FCC.

I was told by a manager in the DMV department that handles amateur plates
that DMV's computer system is programmed to dis-allow all amateur call signs
on black/yellow plates.

Even if you try for a personalized plate (Special Interest License Plate
Ordering System), are willing to pay the annual renewal fee, and space it
out so your call doesn't look like a ham call -- like KA 6 WKE -- the DMV
system will catch it and toss it out.

You can go to the DMV website and try it out:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/ipp2/processConfigPlate.do

73,

Steve AA6AA