[SCCC] Phased verticals

Bill Shell - N6WS n6ws at n6ws.com
Mon Aug 12 22:07:04 EDT 2019

Bob,

I built a phase switching and matching box for my 160m phased verticals,
and the matching was pretty easy.  I match the 50-Ohm to the 25-Ohm pair
of antennas by using a transformer with a 14-turn primary (50-Ohm) and
10-turn secondary (25-Ohm).  You can see it on my Webpage:
https://www.n6ws.com/projects/

The Phasing Switch Box is the third picture.  The transformer is in the
lower-left of the photo.

You should also consider a common-mode choke, which you can see in the
fourth picture right below the switch box.

To be honest, I'm not sure I see much performance increase in the
parallel (broadside) mode of the two verticals.  I know it models to
show some gain, but where I see the best performance is when I switch in
the 90-deg delay-line to provide gain to the East or West.  My "East" is
actually 73-deg Azimuth.  When I am working Europe on 160m, I have
better performance by selecting East instead of North-South.  Which
North-South is both verticals in parallel with no delay-line.  Even as
far North as when I am working Zone 16 station, I think East is better
than North-South. I may be wrong, because it is hard to pick out the
best performance when you have a lot of QSB on the signal, but that is
just my feeling.

I have never tried just using a T-connector to combine the antennas, so
I can't help you there.  The UN-22-25 may be a good solution for you.  I
have a little trouble believing their 2kW peak power rating in such a
small box, but...

I hope my explanation helps you in your antenna work.

73, Bill
N6WS