[SCCC] Phased verticals

Bill Shell - N6WS n6ws at n6ws.com
Tue Aug 13 11:28:38 EDT 2019

Bob, Marty, & Kurt,

I don't mean to change the topic of Bob's thread here, but maybe you
guys can answer a question I had regarding the use of 75-Ohm coax versus
transformers for matching.  When I was putting together my phased
verticals for 160m, I first used quarter-wave sections of 75-Ohm Coax
for matching.  I found that the addition of the 'tuned' section of
75-Ohm coax narrowed my usable 2:1 VSWR passband over what I realized
from a single antenna.  I had built a 2:1 transformer to measure and
test the 100-Ohm point to each antenna individually, so I could run the
test with 50-Ohm tester. After seeing how the additions of the tuned
sections of 75-Ohm cable narrowed the usable band for me on 160m, I
decided to try testing the 2:1 transformer and sections 50-Ohm cable
going to each antenna.  That configuration gave me the most usable
bandwidth on 160m.  The use of the 50-Ohm feed to the antennas also
allows the use of 50-Ohm cable for the phasing delay-line injected at a
50-Ohm impedance point instead of the 100-Ohm point when using the
coaxial transformation method.

After I went through two months of experimenting with how to feed my
160m verticals, I wondered if I was missing something, or maybe not
measuring something correctly.  It seems so easy to use a transformer,
but most past and current magazine and Internet articles on phasing
verticals are still focused on the use of 75-Ohm coax for matching the
verticals.

I understand my perceived advantages of a transformer versus coaxial
matching:
- feeds to each antenna are just equal lengths of 50-Ohm cable, not
measured electrical lengths of 75-Ohm coax.
- greater usable bandwidth due to not using tuned sections of 75-Ohm coax.
- better matching when using 50-Ohm coax for the delay-line.  (My VSWR
does not change appreciably when I switch N-S, E, or W.)
But, what I don't understand are the advantages of using 75-Ohm coax for
matching.

What I am really questioning is the advantages/disadvantages of my using
a transformer at the feed-point of the phased verticals. My 160m
verticals have worked out quite well using a transformer, but I am
always open to changing if there is a better solution.

For Bob's question about 20m verticals, and future 40m verticals, the
transformer seems to me a logical solution.  You can just switch
antennas at the end of the 50-Ohm coaxes or use multi-band verticals.

TU es 73,
Bill
N6WS