[SCCC] Fishing line for Antennas

Steve k0xp at k0xp.com
Mon Dec 2 12:43:52 EST 2019

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Basically, the consensus is my
present line is not UV-proof and I should replace it with line that
is (one or two suggestions were given). I don't want to use any sort
of cord or other thicker line since the idea behind using the fishing
line, in the first place, is less visibility. I started out using
10-lb-test line, and while it easily hauled my first lightweight 39'
wire into the tree without breaking, I got nervous about it when I
replaced it with some heavier 13-kV HV wire to try to prevent arcing
to the tree branches, lengthened the wire to 49-feet-plus, and
replaced the line with the present 60-lb-test stuff. And yes, the HV
wire WAS necessary: I found several burnt spots in the insulation in
the far end of the original 39-foot wire that was ordinary 300V
stranded, insulated hookup wire.

Thanks,
SteveH K0XP