[SCCC] RF Noise

Timothy Coker n6win at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 07:19:52 EST 2019

Wyatt, Prada’s and Wolf really hit it with great information.
I’ve recently been hunting down my noise too. I was able to fix my problems for an SO1R station at home in 2012 with similar methods that they have given to you.
Now in 2018, I had finally decided to fix problems that come up with SO2R and that gets even worse usually whenever you have a multi transmitter environment. I found that power supplies from my computers, wall warts, etc. were sometimes and on some band combinations causing re-radiation issues. The noise was bad enough that it was causing my RX to suffer slightly to tremendously depending on many factors. Suffice it to say I needed to buy many more beads and toroids as discussed already.
What I found would lead me to suggest that you attack your father’s computer with the first eye on his power supply unit’s AC cord. With enough clamp on beads I was able to eliminate one of my computer PSUs from the problem list. I would have used a core or many with the AC cable wrapped through them had a number of beads not worked.
I further found that some beads snapped on at the wall end of that PSU AC cord helped with other band or antenna heading combinations.
It could be any wire associated with his computer that you need to go after with ferrite or quality upgrades as suggested. You may even find the monitor or PSU is so bad it needs to be replaced when enough ferrite isn’t going to fix things, but that would be the last resort in my mind. The good thing is that you know what and where your problem is... now it’s time to test one cable out then the next.
Start with one bead or toriod and then more. Leave them on each wire as you progress. After you solve the problem, if you want, you can come back and remove one bead / toroid at a time while watching your Icom across ALL bands each step.
I say this because while you fix one problem you might cause another. I have found that when I clamp one problem I might cause something else on another band.
So order up, take your time testing, and at each step check each band. Also, switch between antennas and rotate too if you have these options.
You’ll get this fixed no problem if you follow the advice already given. And worse case you might have a PSU or something to go shoot somewhere safe.
Tim / N6WIN

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone